The Hundred Lies of Lizzie Lovett - Chelsea Sedoti | ARC Review

12:46 PM

Pages: 300 pages, ebook
Publication date: January 3, 2017
Publisher: Sourcebooks
How I got the copy: Netgalley
Rating: 4/5 Stars


Summary:
A teenage misfit named Hawthorn Creely inserts herself in the investigation of missing person Lizzie Lovett, who disappeared mysteriously while camping with her boyfriend. Hawthorn doesn't mean to interfere, but she has a pretty crazy theory about what happened to Lizzie. In order to prove it, she decides to immerse herself in Lizzie's life. That includes taking her job... and her boyfriend. It's a huge risk — but it's just what Hawthorn needs to find her own place in the world.



Review:
I love mystery and thrillers and I've been in a mystery/thriller kick (as per the rest of the world) and by the title of this book I expected this to be a YA mystery/thriller, which this isn't. This is a coming-of-age story with the mystery of "where is Lizzie Lovett?". Which isn't even the main focus of this book, necessarily, but that's okay because the more I read of this story, the more I wanted to know about the main character, Hawthorne, and what she would do next!

At first, I wasn't sure about this book. I found it very random and I didn't understand where it was going but, like I mentioned before, the more I read and the more I wanted to know. What I couldn't understand is why Hawthorne was obsessed with Lizzie Lovett. It's very unexplained as to why Hawthorne is fascinated/hates Lizzie even though it does give an explanation to why she felt hurt by her. The situation between Hawthorne and Lizzie didn't seem enough to impact Hawthorne enough to hold it against Lizzie for the rest of Lizzie's high school career and for those feelings to resurface when Lizzie goes missing. I kept reading anyways and slowly I became more interested in what the outcome would be.

Not a lot happens in this book and not a lot goes on about the mystery of where Lizzie Lovett went but I ended up really enjoying it. I enjoyed Hawthorne's journey of coming to terms with herself, her family, love and Lizzie Lovett. 



Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews