Anticipated Releases | December 2016

7:50 PM


This month I only have four new releases and originally I only had one bookmarked before looking into for what else was being released this month, and only came up with three more books. 50% of these books are (I'm pretty sure) self-published and I'm not sure how I feel about that. Obviously, it's not a big issue but at the same time there are always concerns about if the book is worth the time. Anyways, these are the books I'm anticipating this month!

YOUNG ADULT


Teach me to Forget - Erica Chapman

Release date: December 2, 2016
Publisher: Merit Press
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary


Ellery's bought the gun, made arrangements for her funeral, and even picked the day. A Wednesday. Everything has fallen into place.

Now all she has to do is die.

When her plans go awry and the gun she was going to kill herself with breaks, she does the one thing she has control over--return it and get a new one. After tormenting the crusty customer service associate by trying to return the gun with the wrong receipt, Ellery gets caught by the security guard who also happens to be someone she knows--the annoyingly perfect Colter Sawyer from her English class.
Colter quickly uncovers what she's hiding and is determined to change her mind. After confessing a closely held secret of his own, he promises not to tell hers. Ellery tries to fight her attraction to him as the shadows of her past cling tight around her, but when she's faced with another tragedy, she must decide whether her love for one boy is more important than a lifetime of pain.

I don't know what to expect from this book or if it'll be realistic but I'm intrigued. From the synopsis the first thing I think of is "can a gun break?", "How can a gun break?", "What did the character do to break the gun?" I know, I have a lot of question and I've only read three paragraphs but how does that happen? Those things are pretty durable and hefty, no?. There's a cute boy and I love YA contemporary romances.... but does this boy actually want to fix her, which I can get behind, if done correctly, or does he want to help her. There's a huge difference. As much as we all want a knight in shiny armour, it has to be realistic.


Alterations - Stephanie Scott

Release date: December 6, 2016
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary, Retellings

If anyone saw the prom boards Amelia Blanco makes on her favorite fashion app, they'd think Ethan Laurenti was her boyfriend. They wouldn't know that all the plans she's made for them are just dreams, and that she's the girl who watches him from the kitchen while her parents cook for his famous family. 

When Amelia's abuelita enrolls her in a month-long fashion internship in NYC, Amelia can't imagine leaving Miami--and Ethan--for that long. As soon as she gets to New York, however, she finds a bigger world and new possibilities. She meets people her own age who can actually carry on a conversation about stitching and design. Her pin boards become less about prom with Ethan and more about creating her own style. By the time she returns to Miami, Amelia feels like she can accomplish anything, and surprises herself by agreeing to help Ethan's awkward, Steve-Jobs-wannabe brother, Liam, create his own fashion app. 

As Liam and Amelia get closer, Ethan realizes that this newly confident, stylish girl may be the one for him after all . . . even though he has a reality TV star girlfriend he conveniently keeps forgetting about. The "new and improved" Amelia soon finds herself in between two brothers, a whole lot of drama, and choice she never dreamed she'd have to make.

I'm so excited for this book! It seems like a lot of fun and I always love books that involve the fashion industry. As a fashion graduate and still a person who's interested and fascinated in fashion, this would obviously peak my interest. Also, the main character sets off to NYC for an internship (living the dream, girl, I'm so excited for you), she may or may not have a love interest and there's a whole lot of drama (which I feel everyone associates with the fashion industry). I can't wait.


Don't Hold Back - Missy Johnson

Release date: December 12, 2016
Publisher: Self-Published
Genre: Young Adult, Contemporary 

Three countries. 
Two months. 
All expenses paid. 
Just you and me.

About you: You’re fun loving, adventurous and you have a wicked sense of humor. You’re spontaneous, open minded and creative. You live for today because you never know what tomorrow holds.

I'm Erin and this isn't your usual Craigslist Ad. I’m twenty-four, and full disclosure, I’m dying. But I don’t want your pity. What I want is your help. I’m not looking for a nanny, or for someone to hold my hand. I want a friend, a confidante, a partner in crime.

I want you.

I'm pretty sure this book is self-published and I can't say I've ever read a self-published book before but this one seems interesting. From the synopsis, this book follows a girl who's dying and is looking for a companion to travel with. I don't know why the main character wouldn't travel with a friend but that's why I'm interested. Also, that cover! I can tell the person who replies back to the post will be good-looking, which means we will read about a love interest (which I'm all for) or an amazing friendship, maybe?(which I'm all for too). I'm only thinking about all the good directions this book could go in because.... come on, she's dying for fuck sakes!  


ADULT

Being Brooke - Emma Hart

Release date: December 13, 2016
Publisher: Self-Published
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary, Romance

My name is Brooke Barker...

And I'm a freaking disaster.

No, seriously. I’m a college drop-out working a dead-end job, my best friend Carly’s dog gets more action than I do, and I have more bad dates in my diary than there are movie remakes. 

Not to mention I'm completely and utterly in love with Cain Elliott.

The problem? He’s in a relationship. With a girl who’s so plastic she makes Barbie cry herself to sleep with jealousy. 

The second problem? He's my best friend.

My shut-up-and-put-on-Harry-Potter, yes-this-is-your-shirt, help-I-have-no-power, crap-I’m-out-of-tampons, kinda best friend. 

And that’s all he can be, right?

Right.

(Being Brooke is a standalone romantic comedy. Hilarious, super-sexy, and possibly highly inappropriate at times, this is the perfect feel-good read!)

This seems like a hilarious book, it's also a self-published book and, like I mentioned above, I don't know what to expect from it self-published. However, from the sounds of it, this book seems like a rom-com and I LOVE rom-coms and I'm hoping this book will follow through and be amazing.


Let me know which books you're excited for in the comments below! Are we anticipating the same books or none at all?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews