The Unexpected Everything - Morgan Matson | ARC Review

11:12 AM

Pages: 519 pages, Paperback
Publication date: May 3, 2016
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
How I got the copy: Sent by the publisher
Rating: 3/5 stars


Summary:
Andie had it all planned out. 

When you are a politician’s daughter who’s pretty much raised yourself, you learn everything can be planned or spun, or both. Especially your future.

Important internship? Check.

Amazing friends? Check.


Guys? Check (as long as we’re talking no more than three weeks).


But that was before the scandal. Before having to be in the same house with her dad. Before walking an insane number of dogs. That was before Clark and those few months that might change her whole life.

Because here’s the thing—if everything’s planned out, you can never find the unexpected. 
And where’s the fun in that?





Review:
This is the first Morgan Matson book I've completed and as much as I enjoyed the plot and what the book is about, I took a very long time to get through the entire book (a month to be specific).

First off, this book is so long! In my opinion, it's way too long. There’s so much information I didn’t care about and I found just prolonged what we, as the readers, were waiting for, (or at least me) I wanted the romance but only because I thought that’s what this book is supposed to focus on. Let me know if I’m wrong but at the beginning Andie is struggling with letting go of her long time crush and dates no one for more than three weeks so, when Andie starts dating someone for more than three weeks, I’m already convinced this book is going to dive into everything about why. And it does but not as deep as I wanted it too, my romance contemporary loving heart was left wanting more.

The Unexpected Everything is a mix of coming of age, friendships and romance, which is why I think the book is so long! It covers all of these topics but in a way doesn’t entire cover everything as much as it could (except for the coming of age aspect, I’m okay with how it developed). I would have liked more of the nitty gritty of the friendship and romance. I would have liked to see why the four best friends were so compatible from the beginning of their friendship and what makes them amazing friends because there are times when Andie doesn’t even think about her friends or has her friends best interest and at times I’m not convinced of their best friends status. And same goes for the romance.

Regardless, in a less critical sense, I enjoyed reading The Unexpected Everything while I was reading it but I had a very hard time picking the book back up after I'd put it down.

I adored the development of Andie and her father. It was so frustrating to read their relationship at first but I loved how it was handled through the entire book. It might be my favourite moments of this book.

I would have loved this book as a duology. (Am I the only one who thinks this?) The first book focusing on coming of age and her friendships. Having the book diving deep about getting to know her best friends and how important they are to each other with an romance undertone. The second book about Andie finding love and getting out of her three week dating streak because of her fear of letting people in and incluing her developed friendships.



Rating:



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews