Dangerous Lies – Becca Fitzpatrick | ARC Review

12:56 PM

Pages: 400 Paperback
Publication date: Nov 10th, 2015
Publisher: Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
How I got the copy: Received from Simon & Schuster Canada
Rating:  5 out of 5
Series: N/A

Summary:

A teen is forced to make a fresh start after witnessing a violent crime—but love and danger find her anyway in this novel from Becca Fitzpatrick, the New York Times bestselling author of the Hush, Hush saga.

Stella Gordon is not her real name. Thunder Basin, Nebraska, is not her real home. This is not her real life.

After witnessing a lethal crime, Stella Gordon is sent to the middle of nowhere for her own safety before she testifies against the man she saw kill her mother’s drug dealer.

But Stella was about to start her senior year with the boyfriend she loves. How can she be pulled away from the only life she knows and expected to start a new one in Nebraska? Stella chafes at her protection and is rude to everyone she meets. She’s not planning on staying long, so why be friendly? Then she meets Chet Falconer and it becomes harder to keep her guard up, even as her guilt about having to lie to him grows.

As Stella starts to feel safer, the real threat to her life increases—because her enemies are actually closer than she thinks… 


Review:

You can probably tell I really enjoyed this book from the five stars and that you can now find it under my “favourite” shelf on Goodreads. Whatever contemporary Becca Fitzpatrick comes up with next, I for one will need to have it first.

Becca Fitzpatrick writes teen dramas with a romantic twist and I enjoy them so much! As a YA romance fiend I guess that’s no surprise. Dangerous Lies has both a strong (and stubborn) female protagonist and a strong, sensitive cowboy love interest, what more can a girl ask for? They struggle to keep the line of only friends and maybe more since Stella doesn’t want to get involved with anyone when she’ll be leaving Thunder Basin at the end of the summer. But if you’ve fallen in love before you will know not getting involved with someone when having such strong feelings or a strong connection is nearly impossible, especially when you’re lonely or have no one else to lean on.

For me, this book hit everything right on. It kept me guessing about what would happen next all the way to the end. Yes, there were times I speculated what would happen next but it was always right before it happened, never a dramatic foreshadow from the first half of the book that was revealed at the end of the book. To be honest, from the first page, I knew I was going to love this book. Each time I picked this book up I read huge chucks at a time, I couldn’t put it down, to the extent of staying up until 2-3AM reading it.

Dangerous Lies is a great improvement character wise from Black Ice. I remember while reading Black Ice I was very frustrated about both main character because they were “stereotypical” girls that didn’t believe anything bad would happened to them. Unfortunately, I didn’t write a review of it but by the end Black Ice redeemed itself. Remember what I said at the beginning of the review? Well, let me refresh your memory; I’m a sucker for romance.

At the end of Dangerous Lies all I cared about and wanted to know more about was Stella, Chet and Carmina. Reed, who?

Another thing to mention that’s not stated anywhere is Stella is in WITSEC – Witness Protection Program because of the lethal crime she had witnessed. This was a surprise to me, since it’s not mentioned anywhere but it was a nice surprise. I’d never read any YA with a character in Witness Protection.

Reminder: Dangerous Lies covers the subject of the relation of Stella’s mother being involved with the cartel in a light matter and the abuse that does take place during the book is background or again brushed upon lightly, but remember this is YA. If you are looking for a realistic portrayal of cartel business I would suggest looking under the adult section. For me it was just enough cartel drama in this story and it focused on what Stella knew and her life trying to start over instead. 

Rating:





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews