I Take You – Eliza Kennedy | ARC Review

5:59 PM

Pages: 305 Paperback
Publication date: May 5th, 2015
Publisher: HarperCollins
How I got the copy: Received by Harper Collins Canada
Rating:  4 out of 5
Series: N/A

Summary:

Brilliantly executed and endlessly funny, this page-turning debut showcases one of the most winning, irrepressible voices since Helen Fielding’s Bridget Jones.

I’m getting married. He’s perfect! It’s a disaster.

Meet Lily Wilder: New Yorker, lawyer and the luckiest woman in the world. She has a dream job, friends who adore her, a family full of charismatic and loving women, and a total catch of a fiancé. Also, she has no business getting married.

Lily’s fiancé, Will, is a brilliant, handsome archaeologist. Lily is sassy, impulsive, fond of a good drink (or five) and completely incapable of being faithful to just one man. Lily likes Will, but does she love him? Will loves Lily, but does he really know her? As the wedding approaches, Lily’s nights—and mornings, and afternoons—of booze, laughter and questionable decisions become a growing reminder that the happiest day of her life might turn out to be her worst mistake yet.

Bridget Jones’s Diary meets Where’d You Go, Bernadette in this joyous and ribald debut that introduces a fabulously self-assured protagonist whose choices raise fresh questions about gender politics, monogamy and the true meaning of fidelity. 


Review:

This book is a fun adult fiction, which falls nicely into the Chick-Lit category and this is Eliza Kennedy first novel.

In this story we follow Lily Wilder on her discoveries, struggles and confusing eight-days before her wedding day but don’t be fooled this doesn’t just focus on her pre-wedding jitters! We get to know Wilder more than that, we read about her career, which she will still have to work on before she lives for her honeymoon, her friendships, her family issues and infidelity.

I really enjoyed this book, but at first I wasn’t sure if it was going to. When I met our main character I thought she was going to continue to be passive to the problem of being unfaithful, which for the most part she is but she was trying to figure it out in her own way and doesn’t ignore the problem completely. I thought the message of women empowerment was great! Ever though Lily slept around and her friends are aware, this book takes note that these set of women do not use negative terms towards women who like to sleep with many men. It plainly state they do not use “slut”, “bitch” and etc. which is such a great message because so many women now use these words towards each other like it’s okay and lets face it, it’s not.

I had a feeling I knew where a part of this story was going but when it was revealed it wasn’t exactly what I thought, so, even though I thought I guessed it I was very surprised.

I would say that when it comes to relationships I would consider myself to be old fashion, I only want to be with one other person and we focus on each other, no one else and saying that at times by the middle and near the end of the story some things just rubbed me the wrong way about infidelity. Some scenes and some things the character say I didn’t agree with but relationship are different for everyone and everyone has their own opinion but overall I really enjoyed this book. There is a great message in this book about relationship, family and women empowerment.

The writing in this made me laugh and I had no problem with the writing style. It seems like I can’t say this enough but I really like this.

I Take You is fun to read, with likable characters, which is crazy because it’s about infidelity and it’s a great first story by this author. I’m looking forward to see what else this author has in store for us.

I recommend this to readers who enjoy adult fiction contemporary and YA contemporary readers. Keep in mind this book is about a woman that is unfaithful to her fiancé, so being open-minded and non-judgmental would also be good.

Rating:



Thanks for reading,
Alexa Talks Books

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews