Beautiful Darkness - Kami Garcia & Margret Stohl | Book Review

11:52 AM

Pages: 503 Paperback
Publication date: October 12th, 2010
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
How I got the copy: Bought 
Rating:  3 out of 5
Series: Caster Chronicles #2

Summary:

Ethan Wate used to think of Gatlin, the small Southern town he had always called home, as a place where nothing ever changed. Then he met mysterious newcomer Lena Duchannes, who revealed a secret world that had been hidden in plain sight all along. A Gatlin that harbored ancient secrets beneath its moss-covered oaks and cracked sidewalks. A Gatlin where a curse has marked Lena's family of powerful Supernaturals for generations. A Gatlin where impossible, magical, life-altering events happen.

Sometimes life-ending.

Together they can face anything Gatlin throws at them, but after suffering a tragic loss, Lena starts to pull away, keeping secrets that test their relationship. And now that Ethan's eyes have been opened to the darker side of Gatlin, there's no going back. Haunted by strange visions only he can see, Ethan is pulled deeper into his town's tangled history and finds himself caught up in the dangerous network of underground passageways endlessly crisscrossing the South, where nothing is as it seems.




Review:

Beautiful Darkness follows Lena and Ethan after the incidents of book 1 and of course they get into more in book 2. There are a few pretty cool scenes that I really enjoyed but again, I feel there's so much explaining within both the first and second book that make them so much bigger than they have to be.

This was good and enjoyable but I'm not in a hurry to finish this series. I think I'll only read up until Beautiful Chaos since I had bought the first three in a box set after hearing all the hype a couple years back. This isn't my favourite series and sometimes I get lost following this world but it's alright.

Now I get why people are complaining about Lena being bipolar though, Lena jumps from being alright to not wanting anything to do with E
than. Her actions during this book are caused by her father figure getting into predicament that leaves Lena alone without him, which throws her off completely. Lena has to figure out who she is or what to become all by herself without Macon helping her make the right decision. I won't say where he goes or what happens but it makes sense why she's different in this sequel from the first book.

I gave this a 3/5 stars because I enjoyed it enough to get through but it wasn't my favourite nor would I really care if I never read the next book of this series.

Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews