Review: Speak - Laurie Halse Anderson

5:12 PM

Pages: 198 (paperback)
Publication date: October 22, 1999
Publisher: 
How I got the copy: Borrowed from sister
Rating:  3 out of 5 Stars

Summary:

I am Outcast.
The kids behind me laugh so loud I know they're laughing about me. I can't help myself. I turn around. It's Rachel, surrounded by a bunch of kids wearing clothes from the Eastside Mall. Rachel Bruin, my ex-best friend. She stares at something above my left ear. Words climb up my throat. This was the girl who suffered through Brownies with me, who taught me how to swim, who understood about my parents, who didn't make fun of my bedroom. If there is anyone in the entire galaxy I am dying to tell what really happened, it's Rachel. My throat burns.
Her eyes meet mine for a second. "I hate you," she mouths silently.


Melinda Sordino's freshman year is off to a horrible start. She busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops, and now her friends--and even strangers--all hate her. Months pass and things aren't getting better. She's a pariah. The lowest of the low. Avoided by everyone. But eventually, she'll reveal what happened at the party. And when she finally speaks the truth, everything will change.

(Picture from google)

Review:

This was a good book and I think I wanted to like this so much more than I actually did just because I have always heard only good things about it and because it's won a prize. But honestly I just didn't love it like the majority of people who have read it.

While I was reading Speak, I didn't feel any connection to the main character, Melinda. I understand why some readers can relate to her but I was nothing like her when I was younger. Making this a book good and not amazing since I had no connection to the characters or the story and I also couldn't relate to the situation she was in. This book didn't excite me and it just didn't grab me as a reader.

This book is about Melinda life written in a way that seems like she's writing in a journal to herself. During the summer break Melinda gets into a situation at a house party and calls the cops, leaving her vulnerable and alone. She loses her friends because she ruined the summer party and now can't seem to speak. As much as Melinda tries to speak, she can only get her words out once in a while. She wants to disappear from everyone and just hide in a closet at school. 

Melinda struggles with having no friends in high-school, while dealing with what happened during the summer and she can't even seem to speak to her parents. 

I wanted to like this book so much more but I just didn't have any connection with it. So, three our five stars. 

Rating:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Reading Challenge

2017 Reading Challenge

Alexa has read 5 books toward her goal of 75 books.
hide

2016 Reading Challenge

2016 Reading Challenge
Alexa has read 2 books toward her goal of 50 books.
hide

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Badges

Professional Reader10 Book Reviews